GROUP FITNESS INSTRUCTOR
- Creates a safe environment in which all individuals feel welcomed and respected; builds relationships with and among members and program participants.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Understands different health needs; observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Asks and answers questions and displays empathy in support of helping members and program participants build confidence to achieve their health and wellness goals.
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and fitness trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members and program participants connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Keeps all equipment and areas used for class clean and safe for participants.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, national certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification (within 90 days of employment)
- Certification in areas of expertise required.(Yoga, Spin, Zumba)
- At least one year of experience teaching group exercise classes is preferred.
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
Association Fitness Director
YMCA of Alaska
FITNESS FLOOR ATTENDANT
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Wellness Center Attendant at the YMCA of Alaska serves others by intentionally welcoming, connecting, and supporting them and inviting them to get involved and give back to the community.
- Creates a safe environment in which all individuals feel welcomed and respected; build relationships with and among members and program participants.
- Maintains and cleans equipment & fitness areas according to the schedule or as requested by supervisor.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations and attends all staff meetings.
- Reports all equipment damage or failures to the Fitness Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Lead fitness center orientations when needed.
- Ensure all weights are stacked and put away after use